Pre-K Registration / Enrollment Information
The Maryland State Board of Education has COMAR regulations that apply to all prekindergarten half-day programs. The new guidelines under Maryland’s Blueprint for the Future legislation apply to full-day prekindergarten programs. These regulations determine eligibility and selection of students for each district’s pre-k programs. School sites must fill those vacancies by the criteria set forth in the policies, giving priority to those children who meet eligibility criteria. Students not meeting eligibility guidelines are placed on a Wait List. We encourage all interested families to apply!
Allegany County Public Schools is in transition of expanding full-day program opportunities. Each elementary school / center houses either half-day programs, full day programs, or both. Please see the list of programs available on the side tab.
- PreK 3 - 3 years old on or before September 1 of the school year
- PreK 4 - 4 years old on or before September 1 of the school year
- Family Annual Income (for 4-year-old children only):
- Half-Day Programs - Children from families with annual income at or below 185% of the Federal Poverty Level
- Full Day programs - Children from families with an annual income at or below 300% of the Federal Poverty Level
Other Eligibility Considerations:
- Child lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence (homeless)
- Child is enrolled in Special Education - Documented IEP, IFSP (Infants and Toddlers)
- Child is in foster care
- Children from families with annual income over the Tier I guidelines.
- Pre-k 4 Full Day Programs - school bus transportation is provided in accordance with the in-district school schedules.
- Pre-k 4 Half Day Programs -school bus transportation is not provided at mid-day arrival / dismissal. The morning or afternoon transportation is provided in accordance with the in-district school schedules.
- Pre-k 3 Half Day Programs - school bus transportation is not provided.
Notification of Enrollment:
- Families of Tier I eligible students will be notified by June 30th. Families with children on a wait list will be notified after the Labor Day holiday.
Out of District Requests
- Information regarding the out of district process is provided at registration in the home school. Requests are approved after in-district applications have been exhausted.