About Early Childhood Education
Register your Child for School
New Students - Students who have never attended an Allegany County Public School (ACPS) must be registered by their custodial parent (biological, adoptive, legal guardian).
New Kindergarten Students - Children must be 5 years old by September 1 in order to enroll in kindergarten. Every child who is 5 years old by September 1 must be enrolled in a kindergarten program this fall or have an approved waiver.
New Pre-Kindergarten Students - ACPS offers a half-day prekindergarten program. Students must be four years old by September 1, 2017 to be considered for enrollment. Unlike enrollment for K-12, parents must apply for admission to pre-kindergarten.Click HERE to complete the Registration Form. (You can complete the front page, print it, and bring it with you to register your child for school.)Is my child eligible for the program?The ACPS Pre-K program is a high-quality, half-day program. Students must be four years old by September 1, 2017 to be considered for enrollment. The curriculum taught by staff supports early learning and school readiness and provides experiences that fosters the child’s academic, social, emotional and physical development.
The Maryland State Department of Education requires that the Pre-K program be made available first to students who meet first priority criteria: disadvantaged economic status, homelessness, and foster care.
2017 Federal Poverty Income Eligibility GuidelinesHouseholdSize
100% 125% 150% 200% 250% 300% 400% 1 $12,060 $15,075 $18,090 $24,120 $30,150 $36,180 $48,240 2 $16,240 $20,300 $24,360 $32,480 $40,600 $48,720 $64,960 3 $20,420 $25,525 $30,630 $40,840 $51,050 $61,260 $81,680 4 $24,600 $30,750 $36,900 $49,200 $61,500 $73,800 $98,400 5 $28,780 $35,975 $43,170 $57,560 $71,950 $86,340 $115,120 6 $32,960 $41,200 $49,440 $65,920 $82,400 $98,880 $131,840 7 $37,140 $46,425 $55,710 $74,280 $92,850 $111,420 $148,560 8 $41,320 $51,560 $61,980 $82,640 $103,300 $123,960 $165,280
If space allows, other applicants will be considered.How do I apply?
ACPS Pre-K registration is a two-step process:
- As mandated by the Maryland State Department of Education, no enrollment decision can be made without a completed Pre-K application. Once completed and returned to school, Pre-K applications will be kept confidential and will be reviewed by school administration. Applications will be approved if it is determined students meet first priority criteria.
- If approved, the school will contact the family and invite them to come register their child for Pre-K in the upcoming school year.
Where will my child be enrolled?
ACPS Pre-K programs are located at each elementary school site. A Pre-K student will attend the school to which s/he is assigned. Click this link: School Info Finder, enter a street address to search for the school your child will be attending.
Required forms and documentation to apply and enroll.
Registration Form (PMF-1) - Please type or print legibly.
Parent Identification documents
- Parent picture ID: original driver’s license, military ID, or passport.
- Signed original, current lease or deed with your address, valid dates, signatures.
- Current utility bill with name and address (non-cellular telephone, gas and electric, cable bill) issued within the previous 45 days of registration.
Student Identification documents
- Student’s proof of birth (original birth certificate, passport/visa, physician’s certificate, baptismal or church certificate, parent’s affidavit or birth registration).
- Social Security Card
- Proof of parental relationship, custody, or guardianship. If applicable, bring legal proof of custody (court order).
- Student’s current proof of immunizations signed by a doctor, health care provider, day care provider or school official.
- Any additional paperwork that may be necessary due to special living arrangements or circumstances.
- Student’s most recent grade report, transcript, report card from last school attended at time of withdrawal, if applicable.
- Documentation of Special Education (IEP), 504, Psychological Report, or related services.
If approved for the program, parents of prospective pre-kindergarten students have to complete all health documentation requirements for their student.
This includes a physical, evidence of immunizations and evidence of blood lead testing. Students should have a lead test before enrolling in a pre-kindergarten program.
- ACPS Parent Letter
- Physical Examination
- Immunization Form
- Additional questions about immunizations? CLICK HERE
- Lead Testing Form
Seeking Early Admission?
The process for early admission to Pre-K, Kindergarten and Grade 1 are outlined in ACPS regulation JEB-R1.
Early Admission ConsiderationsThings to consider before applying for early admission:
- All ACPS elementary schools have full-day kindergarten programs.
- Your child will be the youngest in his/her class, often a year younger than many peers. Will this put your child at an academic and/or social disadvantage?
- Entering school early is a decision that will have long-term effects on your child. The potential social and/or emotional impact on your child as s/he progresses through school is not predictable.
- Although a capable young child needs to be challenged, those challenges should be closely aligned with his or her social and emotional development.
- Early entry is the equivalent of skipping a grade.
- There may be less leadership opportunities in upper grades.
- When your child's peer group reaches adolescence and is old enough to date, drive, and assume other young adult privileges, your child, who is chronologically younger, will not have the same experiences.
MOVING?? Current Students
Moving over the summer? Find and contact your child’s upcoming school to begin the transfer process. Verify your child's upcoming schoolMoving during the school year? Contact your child’s current school and they will assist you with the transfer process.
Current ACPS Pre-K students do not need to be re-registered for kindergarten because they are already enrolled as an ACPS student.