Middle School After School Educational Programs
Allegany County Public Schools After School Extended Day Programs address the problem of the academic achievement gap that exists between students in grades 6-8. Each middle school in Allegany County will expand the academic opportunities for approximately 50 students in each school. The goal of the program is to meet or exceed state standards for "proficient" as measured by the state assessments. The objective is to increase performance in reading, math, and science, and to promote civic engagement, college & career readiness, enrichment opportunities, environmental stewardship, and living a drug-free life.
This program centers on after-school activities such as tutoring, homework assistance, hands-on education, service learning, enrichment, and physical activities, and STEAM-focused instruction. Academic instruction includes instruction and tutoring in math, reading, science, and technology. Students are provided a hot meal provided by HRDC of Allegany County, and transportation is provided to specific community locations each day for students who reside outside a 1.5-mile radius from the school site.
For more information contact the appropriate site leader below.
The Middle School After-School Programs begin on October 4th, 2021, and operate on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for 2.5 hours each day.
Braddock Site Leader: Ray Short; Email: email@example.com
Washington Site Leader: Josh Wilson; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
MOUNT SAVAGE WESTMAR
Mount Savage Site Leader: John O'Neal, Email: email@example.com
Westmar Site Leader: Amy Duncan; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ACT 1st Federal Credit Union
- Allegany College of Maryland
- Allegany County Health Department
- Allegany County Human Resources Development Commission Inc.
- Allegany County Museum
- Allegany County Library System
- Allegany County Sheriff's Office
- ACPS Service Learning Program
- Carnegie Science Center
- City of Cumberland
- Cumberland YMCA
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources (Forestry, Wildlife, Fisheries)
- Evergreen Heritage Center
- Family Crisis Resource Center Inc.
- Frostburg State University
- Rocky Gap State Park
- University of Maryland Extension Office
- Western Maryland Health System
- WISP Resort