How can we prevent the misuse of prescription drugs? Here are some ways:
- Follow the directions as explained on the label of by the pharmacist.
- Be aware of potential interactions with other drugs as well as alcohol.
- Never stop or change a dosing regimen without first discussing it with the doctor.
- Never use another person's prescription, and never give your prescription medications to others.
- Store prescription stimulants, sedatives, and opioids safely.
It is also important to properly discard unused or expired prescription medication. There are various ways to do this such as by following the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines or visiting U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration collection sites.
Focus on the Positive
Instead of turning to prescription drugs when stressed or upset, one should focus on positive things to do such as:
- Spending time with friends, family, and pets