ATTENTION ALL COACHES...
You must complete the Concussion in Sports training and renew it every 2 years. This is FREE!
Visit: https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61064/concussion-in-sports to take the training.
Turn your completion certificate in to your Athletic Director.
How to become a Credentialed Interscholastic Coach!
All Coaches that do not hold a teaching certificate must become Credentialed Coaches. To accomplish this, all coaches that do not hold a teaching certificate must:
- complete the One-Credit Course in the Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries. This course includes but is not limited to: Bloodborne Pathogens, CPR/AED, First Aid, and Sport-Specific Rules. Coaches must also be re-certified yearly in CPR/AED training. Your Athletic Director will coordinate trainings each year with our BLS Instructor.
- possess an MPSSAA/MSDE Coach Certification, which means completion of the NFHS Level 1 Coaching Certification or MSDE Approved In-Service Coaching Education Program prior to the start of his or her fourth year as a coach. This certification consists of two (2) online courses: “Fundamentals of Coaching” and a “Sports Specific” course. Please check with your Athletic Director for which course you should choose.
Directions for taking the NFHS Online Courses:
- Go to http://nfhslearn.com/
- Register or Sign-In
- Click “Courses” on the top toolbar and from the drop down list; choose “Fundamentals of Coaching” or “Sport-Specific Courses” and then choose your sport. If your sport is not listed, you can just pick one that is available.
- Click on “Purchase Now”
- Choose the option “I am purchasing a course for myself” and “Continue”
- Choose “Maryland” from the drop down list and click “Save”
- The cost for the Fundamentals of Coaching course will be $35 and $50 for the Sports Specific course. Continue “Checkout” and enter your credit card information. There will be a link on your receipt that you click to take the courses.
- Congratulations!After successful completion of each course, you will be able to print out a Certificate of Completion. Please remember to submit a copy of your certificate to the Athletics Department to be kept on file.
Accredited Interscholastic Coach
The coach must complete the following courses:
- NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching
- Fundamentals of Coaching ( Sport-specific) or Teaching Sport Skills
- Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries (Offered by ACPS - Taught @ FSU)
- Concussion in Sports
Required Core Courses:
- Fundamentals of Coaching | Click Here
- Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries
- Concussion in Sports - What You Need to Know | Click Here
- Additional information on Concussions is available through MPSSA at http://www.mpssaa.org/HealthandSafety/Concussions.asp
- Fundamentals of Coaching Soccer | Click Here
- Fundamentals of Coaching Wrestling | Click Here
- Fundamentals of Coaching Football | Click Here
- Spirit Safety Course| Click Here
- Fundamentals of Coaching Volleyball| Click Here
- Fundamentals of Coaching Softball | Click Here
- Fundamentals of Coaching Basketball | Click Here
- Engaging Effectively With Parents | Click Here
- Teaching & Modeling Behavior | Click Here
- Teaching Sport Skills**| Click Here
- NCAA Eligibility | Click Here
**fulfills the requirement for "General Certification".
If your sport's course is not yet available you can still Get Certified!