Title I Overview
John Humbird Elementary School implements a schoolwide Title I program. This supplemental program provides additional resources to students and staff. These resources include additional instructional staff, instructional materials, parent programs, and professional development. The amount of funding for each school is based upon the percent of students meeting the criteria for Free and Reduced Meals. The School Improvement Plan outlines the focus of the Title I schoolwide program. Parents are invited to review and comment on this plan at any time. Copies of the plan are available in the school office.
The Title I program is part of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. As part of this legislation, parent input and involvement are recognized as key components in student success. A summary of the school’s Parent Involvement Plan is distributed to all families. Parents are encouraged to participate in the following opportunities.
1. Parent input is requested on the development and review of the:
- School Improvement Plan
- Parent Involvement Plan
- Home – School Compacts
- Parent Involvement Budget
- Annual Review of the Allegany County Parent Involvement Plan
2. Parents can obtain information, under Parents’ Right to Know, on the highly qualified status of the staff working with their children.
3. Parents may voice complaints regarding the implementation of the Title I schoolwide program. Complaint forms may be obtained in the school office.
4. The Mid-Atlantic Equity Consortium, Inc. (MAEC) provides resources to parents and educators on topics related to family involvement and closing the achievement gap. Click here to visit the site.
Parents from each grade level will be invited to join the Title I Parent Committee. In the spring, this committee will review the items in number one and make suggestions for the next school year. The drafted items will be presented to all parents in the fall for input. If you are interested in being a member of this team or if you have questions about the schoolwide Title I program, please contact Heather Morgan, principal.
Click here for additional information about the schoolwide Title I program in Allegany County.